PDP to Uzodinma: Don’t Lower The Quality of Road Projects You inherited from Us
… Kicks Against The Return Of Substandard Road projects in Imo State
People’s Democratic Party, Imo State Charpter has called on Governor Uzodinma of Imo State not to lower the quality of Road projects they are doing below what they inherited from Ihedioha led PDP Govt of Imo State.
In the press release from the party signed by the head of the New Media for the Party, Ambrose Nwaogwugwu, title ‘WHY UZODINMA MUST NOT LOWER THE
QUALITY OF ROAD PROJECTS’, the party listed ten reasons why Uzodinma led Govt is failing to maintain the standards set up by PDP govt led by Rt Hon. Emeka Ihedioha on road projects.
Read the Press release below:
WHY UZODINMA MUST NOT LOWER THE QUALITY OF ROAD PROJECTS.
— Commends Contractors That Have Refused To LOWER Set Standards
— Gives Reasons Why ‘china’ Roads Have Returned To Imo.
We are witnesses to the collapsed state of infrastructure across the state, bequeathed by the immediate past administration of embattled Rochas Okorocha.
It took the sincerity, courage and deliberate efforts of the Rebuild Imo administration to assemble reputable construction companies and, following due process, awarded contracts for over 33 major road projects across the state.
ALL the construction companies were mobilized to site with the 15% of their total contract sum and the state became a construction site with quality construction, accompanied by strict monitoring and evaluation.
We have it on good authority that the Supreme Court Governor, Mr. Uzodinma made frantic efforts to renegotiate all the ongoing 33 contracts, with the aim of lowering the standard and blame it on Governor Ihedioha.
Imolites indeed recently began to complain about the poor quality of road construction projects awarded by the Supreme Court Governor in the state; Akwakuma roundabout, Assumpta Roundabout to Port Harcourt road, World Bank road, etc. The agents of the state government in their usual fraudulent characteristic attempting to lay down the blames of poor construction on the doorsteps of the PDP should be held responsible for the poor quality of construction that is on going.
We provide the following reasons for being responsible for the return of substandard roads A.K.A china roads in Imo State:
1. Upon assumption of office as the Governor of Imo State, one of the quality structures put in place to produce quality project by His Excellency Rt. Hon. Emeka Ihedioha CON was the setting up of a Project Monitoring and Evaluation Team headed by the Governor’s Special Adviser (SA) on Project Monitoring and Evaluation — a renowned COREN certified Engineer – Engr. Dr. Uche Nwakanma Moneke.
2. This quality assurance team whose members were made up of civil engineers, architects, builders and estate surveyors worked round the clock in the state to ensure that contractors complied strictly with their contract specifications. The PDP administration led by His Excellency Gov. Emeka Ihedioha took quality very seriously and it manifested widely in the quality of projects done which elicited wide range of applause from the people.
3. Aside the separate team of project monitoring and Evaluation from the Office of the Governor, the government also empowered the state’s Ministry of Works to be very effective and functional. The ministry equally had a separate project monitoring team headed by the Commissioner for Works who is also a COREN certified Engineer, Engr. Ben Ekwueme, with members drawn from renowned builders, estate surveyors, architects and civil engineers.
4. These solid foundations set by the PDP government were the reasons quality road projects started springing up in Owerri and environs again that led to massive commendation from Imolites.
5. It is most unfortunate that when Mr. Hope Uzodinma was imposed upon Imolites by the Supreme Court in January 14, 2020 – all these quality assurance structures were summarily dismantled, only to set up a project monitoring team led by his laymen and illiterates and most absurdly, his commissioner for work is led by a lawyer by training and profession who do not have any background in engineering or building construction.
6. It is therefore uncharitable to blame the PDP government for any poor and substandard quality of road construction when the Mr. Uzodinma regime has chosen to politicize the contracts and has refused to provide funds to accelerate the jobs, at some instances sacked the contractors even when most of them have earned certificates for second payment.
7. We are not unmindful of the fact that the government of the day are doing everything possible to get the few remaining contractors to lower the standard which the PDP government set for them by collecting kickbacks from them on next payment installments and at the end of the day render a substandard project where they would blame the PDP administration.
8. We commend the contractors that have stuck to their guns by refusing to compromise on the standard our government set for them as they are the true champions of Imo people.
9. We will advise the state government to quickly reconstitute a project Monitoring and Evaluation team of professionals and not politicians nor political allies of the governor to deliver quality and lasting projects for Imo people.
10. We equally admonish Mr. Uzodinma in the overall interest of the state, not to terminate the over 33 ongoing road projects in the state. Even if that is what his administration would achieve in it’s short period, Imolites will be happy.
IMO PDP NEW MEDIA
July 27, 2020.